Our client develops, acquires and operates electric-power and district-heating resources around the world, many in underserved, overlooked markets. They are able to move quickly on niche opportunities, with a broad expertise in the full range of traditional and alternative electricity-generation technologies.
They base their portfolio investments on what makes sense for the client and location. That could mean using methane to fuel electricity-producing gas engines, or combining existing technologies to develop a “quad-generation” solution that provides four types of generation—power, heating, cooling and a source of CO2—for a multinational beverage bottler.
They operate a portfolio with multiple fuels as well as renewable energy in two distinct lines of business: Developing and operating large, central-station generating plants to supply national grids in high-growth markets; Partnering with multinational companies to boost production-facility efficiency—and improve environmental profiles—in mature markets.
Our client is a multinational company with more than $4 billion of assets and more than $1 billion of revenue. Despite these established-business figures, however, they remain true to their entrepreneurial roots, with leaders who understand the need to act quickly when new opportunities emerge. Because they invest their own financial and personnel resources in every project, they are committed to both fiscal transparency and worker safety. They have deep expertise in the laws, regulations and tariff structures in every location in which we operate. We have zero tolerance for corruption or unsafe working conditions.
- The person will be responsible for the overall management of all production facilities at Kibuye, both Power Plant and Gas Extraction facility; he/she will be supported by the Country Manager and Finance team in Kigali, and necessary support units (HR, OHSE, Operations,) at corporate level.
- During construction of phase 1, he/she will be part of the construction team and participate actively on the recruitment of operational staff together with the client’s HR and Operation departments. He/she will have a leading role together with Off-shore Construction Manager for the successful commissioning of the gas extraction facilities and training of multinational operational team.
- Phase 1 facilities consist of Power Plant with 3 x Wartsila 20x34SG gas engines with necessary auxiliaries, Gas Extraction Barge with 3 x 1675kVA gas gen sets by MWM, 1x 1875 kVA black start diesel gen set by MWM, switchboard 690V with soft start unit, 690/400V step down transformer, 2x Sinopec dual compressors for sour and sweet gas with Caterpillar G3606LE prime movers, gas conditioning equipment including 4 x 960hp wash water pumps, wash towers, chillers, heat exchangers and all associated control and instrumentation equipment and devises.
- Also the operation and maintenance of crew boats and installation vessel is part of the operation manager’s responsibilities.
- Ensure safe operation of the power plant at the highest international safety standards and below their environmental emission limits
- Ensure that plant complies with operating licenses and other legal, regulatory and environmental requirements
- Implement Company policies and procedures, including operational protocols
- Create positive work environment and team spirit at the job site
- Manage the recruitment of operational staff together with CG’s HR and Operation departments
- Participate in creation of stock for emergency and planned maintenance spares for the facilities
- Provide direction and oversight to plant operators and maintenance staff and ensures that adequate training is conducted to all personnel
- Supervise plant HR activities
- Manage overall OHS and Environmental matters as a superior to OHS manager at Power Plant and GEF, ensure that facilities and procedures meet the highest safety, quality and environmental standards
- Ensure daily, weekly monthly and periodic maintenance of all equipment at power plant and Gas Extraction Facility are done duly in time, quality and budget and minimize planned and unplanned outages
- Ensure stock control and inventories are up-to-date at all time
- Prepare, manage and report cost control and budget for maintenance and operational activities
- Ensure that Power Plant and Gas Extraction is operating at maximum efficiency and make recommendations for operational improvements
- Ensure that support services are operating in optimal manner, interact and coordinate with finance, IT, HR etc.
- Prepare plant operational data for monthly invoice purposes, participate in invoice procedures as
- required by Country Manager and CG Finance functions
- Be in charge of third party services at plants, such as security, cleaning and waste management
- Be the point of contact to authorities at district and province level (police, navy, revenue, immigration etc.)
- Coordinate and make decisions on day-to-day dispatch of the plant and prepare required weekly, monthly and annual dispatch plans in cooperation with off taker
- Prepare necessary reports to CG and lenders in respect of operational data and compliance with lender requirements on HSE matters
- At least 15/20 years of experience in the electricity sector and energy production in the Operation & Maintenance field
SKILLS AND CERTIFICATION:
- Bachelor/Master degree in Engineering or equivalent linked to the energy sector
- Proven Knowledge of the maintenance and/or operation of the power generation plants
- Proven Knowledge of the energy project developments
- Proven leadership skills and ability to manage experience sharing
- Proven management experience in the operational context
- Proven communication skills
- Fluency in English
- Strong quantitative skills
- Expertise and proficiency with basic office computer software, e.g., word processing, email, and spreadsheets
- The ability to work independently or as part of a team
- Should be a good learner he or she should have the willingness to acquire knowledge on new technologies to solve quality problems
- Should have excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Should possess the sound organizational and planning skills with a solid an attention to detail
- He or she should have effective communication skills and excellent interpersonal skills.